Heavenly Greek Chicken Gyros
This super delicious Chicken Gyros won't leave you unimpressed. Quite the opposite. It's an incredibly delicious, aromatic, and juicy wrap, and we believe you will love:
- how easy and quick the recipe is (takes only 45 minutes to make)
- the chicken meat is tender, juicy, beautifully charred, and grilled outside
- flatbread is homemade, soft, perfect for wraps
- a delicious dish for adults and kids (we serve the "deconstructed" gyro to our toddler and he loves it)
- feel free to store roasted meat in the fridge or freezer
- it is a wonderful meal on the go or a healthy(ish) dinner for a busy weeknight
What is Gyros
Gyros is an excellent wrap originating from Greece. For the base, they use pita bread, filled with vertically roasted meat, like a kebab. You will always find fresh vegetables like onion, cucumber, and tomato in the gyro, along with a delicious, fresh tzatziki sauce (basically a yogurt-cucumber sauce). In the traditional recipe, you will find french fries too. Gyro is a delectable, filling, and tasty Greek wrap perfect for lunch, dinner, or brunch.
Use pork, lamb, beef, or chicken. Our favorite is the latter, the chicken gyros. Also, we never add french fries to the wrap. We prefer serving it with baked potato wedges as a side when serving it for lunch or dinner.
Homemade tzatziki is the best, but we only make it at home when cucumbers are in season. Otherwise, we always use store-bought. And because pita bread is hard to find in Slovenia, we usually make our Skillet Flatbread at home.
How to make Greek Chicken Gyros at home
We will need four essential ingredients for a good homemade Greek Chicken Gyro: juicy meat, soft pita bread, tzatziki sauce, and fresh vegetables. Find all the ingredients and methods below; here's a quick recipe overview for easier preparation.
- Cut the meat and marinate it (for at least 15 minutes or overnight).
- Thread the meat onto metal or wooden skewers.
- Roast and broil the chicken in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the bread and vegetables.
- Cut the meat into thin slices, Spread the tzatziki sauce over the bread and fill the wrap with meat and vegetables.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TRICKS
- MARINADE - Lemon juice and greek yogurt help soften the meat, making the meat tender and juicy.
- SPICE MIX - In the Gyros Kotányi spice mix, we can find a mixture of salt, onion, paprika, garlic, oregano, sugar, pepper, and rosemary. We love this mixture ratio, but feel free to make your own.
- SKEWERS - If you're using wooden skewers, cover them with water in a shallow pan to soak them for 10 minutes. This will prevent burning.
Frequently asked questions and answers
Here you will find the most frequently asked question and answers regarding the Chicken Gyros. If you still have any questions left, don't hesitate to ask in the comments below, and we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Are chicken gyros healthy, or are they bad for you? It all depends on the ingredients used and how we prepare the gyros. Traditionally, gyros contain french fries, but we decided to leave them out for two reasons. First, we don't feel that there is any flavor value by adding them into the wrap, and second, they create unnecessary calories. Also, we roasted the meat in the oven with minimal oil, making the meat tender and juicy without being oily and greasy. This all helps make this gyro healthy(ish) and well-balanced.
Which bread to use for gyros? Use pita bread, or a homemade skillet flatbread, or Lepinja (Balkan flatbread) for this recipe. If you don't have the time to make it from scratch, you can use a flour tortilla too.
What to serve with gyros? Serve Gyros with a fresh salad, for example, this Cucumber Yogurt Salad or this delicious Caprese Salad. As a side, we love serving Chicken Gyros with Potato Wedges or Fried Potatoes.
It's best to prepare this delicious Greek Chicken Gyros fresh, but feel free to store any leftover roasted meat for later.
Store the roasted meat in an airtight container. Place in the fridge for up to 3 days. Before serving, reheat in a microwave or in a skillet.
Or, you can freeze the roasted meat too. Keep in a freezer bag or airtight container. Place in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Try these delicious chicken recipes too