The best Sataras or Balkan Vegetable Stew
My goodness, this is one of the most delicious Balkan recipes, and it's ridiculously easy to make too.
- fresh, healthy, summery meal, perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even dinner
- the scrambled eggs make it filling and flavorful
- filled with vegetables, gluten-free and dairy-free
- we can easily freeze it or preserve it in jars for up to a year
- a beautiful way to keep seasonal tomatoes and peppers for longer
- a lovely breakfast for two served in a skillet
- one-skillet recipe, made in less than 30 minutes
How to make Sataras at home
Making Sataras at home is quick and super simple. Below you will find the whole recipe with instructions, and here's a brief overview of the recipe for easier preparation:
- In a skillet, cook the onion and peppers.
- Add the chopped and grated tomatoes, garlic, and spices. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the eggs and cook until scrambled and cooked.
- Serve immediately with fresh bread or flatbread.
What to serve with Sataras (Balkan Vegetable Stew)
Feel free to prepare the Sataras with or without eggs. We usually add eggs to make this meal more filling and nutritious. Scramble the eggs in a bowl, then add them to the vegetables in the skillet. We love serving this delicious Balkan Vegetable Stew with:
Storing and Preserving for winter
Store Sataras in three ways. You can either it in a fridge, freezer or preserve it in jars for winter. But make sure not to add eggs when storing.
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat well.
Transfer the cooked and cooled Sataras to a freezer bag or airtight container. Seal, then place in the freezer. Keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. Defrost, reheat, and serve.
We can easily preserve the Sataras in jars too. In that case, make ten times this recipe. The cooking time will also increase by 15 - 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 100°C / 210°F. Place your jars and lids on a baking sheet and place them in the oven for 15 minutes to sterilize. Pour the vegetable stew into the jars. Set the lids on the jars and close tightly. Wrap the jars into a kitchen towel and let them cool slowly for about 12 hours. Then store in a cold, dark place for up to a year.
Try these delicious vegetarian meals too