The most delicious Beef Broth Soup
Mmm, it's impossible to resist a plate filled with delicious homemade Beef Broth Soup. This broth soup is always served in Slovenia for special occasions, even holidays like Christmas and Sunday family meals. It warms the body and soul, and we believe you're going to like it too. These are the top reasons why we love eating it over and over again.
- clean, delicious, filling, and hearty soup
- great for any day of the year
- keeps well in the fridge or freezer
- you can get creative with add-ins (like egg noodles, grated egg pasta, thinly sliced crepes)
- only one pot needed
- you will only need about ten active minutes to make this soup
How to make Beef Broth Soup at home
Making Beef Broth soup at home isn't hard; it's actually quite the opposite. You can easily be a beginner cook to make this comforting soup. Find all the ingredients and methods below; here's a quick recipe overview for easier preparation.
- In a pot, fry the onion without using any oils or fat.
- Add vegetables and water to the onion.
- Wash the meat under cold running water, then add to the soup.
- Add the herbs, and bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to a minimum.
- Cook over low heat for 3 hours.
- Serve warm.
Which meat to choose for beef broth soup?
When it comes to beef broth, we have quite a few meat options to choose from. It's essential to use marrow bones and a piece of high-quality (but not pricey) meat for flavor. Use one of the following (or a combination like we did)—the more different parts of beef you use, the better the taste.
- shoulder clod
- shank (with or without a bone)
- short rib
- sirloin steak with bone
Frequently asked questions and answers
Here you will find a few frequently asked questions and answers. If you still have a question, don't hesitate to ask us in the comments below, and we will get to you as soon as possible.
- How long should we cook beef broth soup? It's essential to cook at the lowest heat for at least two and a half hours or three hours. This soup should never boil, or it will become opaque.
- What if my soup is opaque? First, rinse the meat under cold running water to get rid of any liquid. It's essential to keep an eye on the soup while cooking and prevent boiling. Once or twice while cooking, remove the cooking foam from the top of the soup, but don't stir the soup. Cover the soup partially with a lid. The easiest way to do this is by placing a wooden spoon over the pot and then covering the pot with a lid over the spoon. This way, the liquid won't evaporate as much, and the soup won't boil.
- How long can we keep the beef soup in the fridge? It's better to freeze the soup for a more extended time. Keep the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before that, it's important to cool it quickly to prevent it from becoming sour.
- What to do with meat and vegetables after cooking? Clean the cooked carrots under running water, then reheat and serve with soup. We can cut the meat into slices and serve with soup or separately as a main dish. In that case, we recommend shoulder clod or short ribs as they will be the juiciest and tender.
Storing and freezing
Feel free to store this soup in two ways.
When the beef broth soup cooks, try to cool it as soon as possible before storing it. The easiest way to do this is by placing a pot in a sink filled with ice-cold water to cool or by placing it outside on the balcony. By cooling it as soon as possible, we prevent the possibility of soup from becoming sour. Keep in the fridge, in a pot, or airtight container, for up to 3 days.
It’s even better to freeze this soup. Cool as soon as possible, then store in airtight containers. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
At home, my parents usually cook the soup on a Saturday, then keep it in the fridge overnight and reheat it the next day. This way, you can scoop the fat from the top of the soup. Before serving, reheat it, but don’t let it boil.
Try these delicious soup recipes