This is why seafood lovers will love this Risotto
Seafood Risotto is one of our all-time favorite seafood dishes (apart from this comforting Brodet). These are the reasons why we love this recipe and why we believe you will too:
- feel free to use fresh or frozen seafood (we love a combo of mussel, shrimp, and squid)
- this risotto is super creamy, without using any cream
- this meal is light, incredibly flavorful, and we just like to eat it with a spoon instead of a fork
- the seafood is perfectly cooked and juicy
- an excellent meal for a busy workday
- we can easily make it in all seasons
- we will only need one pan for this recipe
Essential ingredients for a delicious creamy Seafood Risotto
We will need 9 ingredients for this simple recipe. They are accessible everywhere across the world and are super easy to find.
Seafood - feel free to use fresh or frozen seafood. We usually use frozen seafood because it's easier to find in most stores, and it works so well. However, if you live near the sea, then definitely fresh. Shrimp, squid, mussels, and fish work great.
Olive oil - adds a specific subtle Mediterranean aroma. Use high-quality olive oil, or substitute with canola oil.
Onion, garlic, celery stalk - Finely dice the vegetables and saute until cooked and smells divine.
Rice - Use rice for risotto, like Arborio rice. This is important to make sure the risotto will be creamy. Arborio rice doesn't overcook easily, and it is more starchy than long-grain rice.
White wine - Always add the wine when your pan is set over high heat. This way, the alcohol will evaporate, creating an exquisite flavor. Use Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
Stock / Broth - using vegetable broth or fish stock is essential. It's full of flavor, and it elevates the dish. You can make the vegetable broth from scratch at home or buy it in your local store. If you are in a hurry, feel free to use water.
Butter - this is crucial. Before serving, add some butter to make the risotto flavorful, creamy, and delicious.
How to make creamy seafood risotto from scratch at home
This seafood risotto is a great recipe for beginners or those of you who are more advanced. The preparation is straightforward, and we will only need one pan; how fun is that. You will find the entire recipe with ingredients and instructions below. Here's an overview of the recipe for easier preparation.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and celery.
- Add the rice and sauté.
- Gradually start adding the broth to the rice and continue to simmer.
- Add in the seafood and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the butter and season to taste.
- Divide between four deep plates and serve.
If you're using frozen seafood, place the bag with the frozen seafood in a large bowl filled with room-temperature/lukewarm water. Place the seafood in the water when you start cooking.
Always prepare this Seafood Risotto recipe from scratch and serve warm. If you have any leftovers, feel free to store them in an airtight container, in the fridge, until the next day. Reheat very well before serving.
Try these delicious seafood recipes too