Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Citrus Sauce
Not only are these shrimp kabobs fresh, light and made in only 10 minutes, they are also:
- perfectly cooked
- drizzled with an amazing, fresh citrus sauce made with orange, lime, and grapefruit
- grill them in a pan or outdoor grill
- no oil needed for grilling these
- keeps you full, but aren't a heavy meal
- gluten-free and dairy-free
- perfect for your next picnic, party or barbecue season in general
Citrus sauce - the Citrus sauce is very fresh and made of oranges, lime, and grapefruit. Ginger, celery, garlic add a freshness and soy sauce plus fish sauce add an amazing spiciness. Chili brings the sharpness and honey a lovely sweetness. Make it in a blender or food processor, it's really o delicious sauce.
Shrimp - Use fresh shrimp or prawn, if possible the freshest you can find. You can substitute fresh ones with precooked shrimp or frozen shrimp or even fresh scampi (in that case, grill them for about 30 seconds longer on each side).
Olive oil - Don't add olive oil to your pan or over the grill, only lightly brush the shrimp using a kitchen brush.
How long to grill shrimp skewers
It's very very important not to overcook your shrimp. They quickly become rubbery, so make sure to keep an eye on it. Grill time is short, only about 40 - 60 seconds on each side (high heat). It's the same wheater you are making them in a pan or over a grill outdoors.
HOW TO GRILL SHRIMP SKEWERS (TIPS AND TRICKS)
- Skewers: You can use stainless steel skewers or you can use wooden skewers. If you decide to use the latter, make sure to soak them in water for about 10 minutes before threading the shrimp on it. We do that because otherwise they get burnt on the grill.
- Marinade or Sauce: Both marinade and sauce are a good way to spice things up. A marinade can add a lovely spiciness and aroma, but we decided to make a sauce in this recipe. That way you can serve the sauce only to those who love it, or you can enjoy the simple taste of naturally sweet grilled shrimps.
- Spices: There's no need to season the shrimp because in this recipe we are looking for a naturally sweet and salty flavor. Citrus sauce will add another kick in flavor.
- Oil: Brushing the prawns lightly with olive oil will be enough. No need to add it to your pan or grill.
- Grill temperature: If you will cook the shrimp in a pan, make sure to add them to a smoking hot pan without any added oil. If you are cooking them in an outdoor grill, heat the grill until it reaches 220 °C - 240 °C / 430 °F - 460 °F. Always place the shrimp skewers onto hot grill grates.
Other tasty seafood dishes to make