The best Slovenian Sweet Omelette for two
I mean, isn't this sweet treat magnificent. If you need another reason to make it besides its glorious looks, then maybe these facts will convince you to make it at home soon:
- the cake is soft, yet it holds the shape and the filling beautifully
- the cranberry jam and fruits add a beautiful fruity aroma that reminds us of summer berries
- the whipped cream is creamy, light, and it decorates the cake wonderfully
- this dessert is a show-stopper; it's gorgeous
- a fantastic dessert recipe idea for dates, weekends, Mother's day, and celebrations
- it takes only 30 minutes to make it
How to make Pohorska omelet or sweet omelet at home
This tasty dessert is easy, quickly prepared, and beautiful. Follow these six steps to make it.
- Make the cake batter. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and mix them into a smooth batter along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bake the cake. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Fold the cake in half and brush with liqueur (leave out the alcohol if you're serving this to kids).
- Spread the cranberry jam over the cake and arrange fresh berries on top
- Decorate with whipped cream and fresh mint leaves.
- Optionally sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Tips and Trick on how to always make a delicious sweet omelette
Here are some tips and tricks to follow to ensure 100% success.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolks gently to ensure a smooth, fluffy, soft cake. Try to keep the volume when folding in the whites.
- Avoid the cake from cracking. When you take the cake from the oven, quickly remove it from the pan, and fold it while it's still warm.
- Fold the cake in half while it's still warm. The easiest way to do this is by placing a small rolling pin or a 500 ml bottle in the middle, folding half of the cake over the rolling pin to hold the shape. Set aside for a couple of minutes.
- Don't overbake the cake. Keep an eye on that cake. It only bakes for 8 minutes, so better yet, check the doneness a minute before to be sure. The easiest way to know if the cake is baked is by lightly pressing the finger into the cake. It's done when the center of the cake springs back when lightly pressing with a finger.
- Brush the cake with liqueur. This will make it juicier and moist. Avoid this step if you're making the dessert for kids.
- Keep an eye on that whipped cream. Especially in the summer, make sure to keep the cake in the fridge before serving. Otherwise, if you plan on serving it warm, add about a teaspoon of whipped cream stabilizer (cremfix) into the whipping cream to ensure it stays firm.
- Use a non-stick baking pan. The cake will be easier to remove.
What is Slovenian Sweet Omelette or Pohorska omleta
Slovenian Sweet Omelette or Pohorska Omleta (in Slovene) is a beautiful dessert originating from Pohorje Hill. It was created in the fifties by chef Račič, in Želežničarski dom on Pohorje Hill. In the first version of the original recipe, there were no fresh berries added. The Pohorje hill is rich in wild berries, so it only made sense to add them later. The original recipe is easy to follow. You would need 3 tablespoons of flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and 3 eggs for the cake. The baked cake was always brushed with mint liqueur, well-known in Pohorje, and spread with cranberry jam. The original recipe also calls for a 22 cm or 9-inch cake pan. This is one of the traditional Slovenian desserts, definitely worth trying.
We believe that respecting traditional recipes is super important, but it's also good to take a personal spin on a recipe. For this recipe, we changed the cake batter ratio to make it softer and fluffier. We also added fresh berries to make the omelet light, fresh, and fruity. Instead of mint liqueur, we used the Kirsch liqueur since we prefer the flavor. For two people, we are baking this dessert in a round cake pan, 20 cm or 8-inches in diameter.
How to store this sweet fruit omelet
Since this is a 30-minute recipe, we recommend making it fresh.
However, feel free to store any leftover sweet omelet slices in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 days.
Try these berrylicious desserts too